Friday, November 30, 2007

Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden


I checked this book out of my local library about four years ago and liked it so much that I bought it so that I could re-read it at my leisure.

The author and I are kindred spirits. We garden organically, prefer heirlooms, abhor lawns and lawnmowers, and adore compost. I have to keep reminding myself that she was writing in 1981, long before any of these things were "fashionable".

Her writing is lighthearted and very readable. Even the essays on vegetables, which I don't grow, are enjoyable. I especially like her exasperation at unclear directions. It's nice to know that other gardeners have the same difficulties with unclear instructions that I do.

Each essay is complete in itself, so the book can be read right through or you can skip around. I'm so glad that I finally have my own copy. It's one of those books that I will read over and over.

No comments: